How we did it
- Read and reread this blog Disable My Cable
- Bought Google's Chromecast device, 1 for each of our main TV's. This will stream ANYTHING from my computer, to the TV. ANYTHING. Cost $35
- Bought 1 Roku for each of our main TV's. This gives us over 1,000 channels with content that cable/satellite can't touch. It also gives us Pandora, Netflix, PBS Kids, Amazon, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, and more. Cost: varies depending on device, but not more than $100 (search Craigslist for even an even better price)
- Returned all our cable boxes :)
- Had this antenna (HBU33) installed by a local company which gives me at least 36 local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc). ALL in HD. Completely seamless install as it ties into your existing cable lines and inside outlets
And if you live somewhere that tells you that you aren't allowed to have an antenna on your house/property - just show them this FEDERAL law http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule - because they CAN'T. I happily schooled our homeowner's association on this. My antenna installer was very surprised I knew about this law and concurred, it's 100% true. Ask yourself, why is it ok in your homeowner association bylaws to have big, ugly satellite dishes yet not ok to have antennas - well ASK NO MORE!!!
Have more questions? Feel free to ask. Trust me, this was a big decision, but now that we have done it, we understand why so many before us have. I don't regret it and my family has survived without pay TV now for 6 weeks and life is great!